Sunday, November 2, 2008

Oblivious student mauled by bronze tiger











When I was in high school, I took a photo class. The teacher, Mr. Lehr, was an overly ambitious MICA grad, and perhaps he tried to pack in too much for the one-semester class.

Since it was 1998, digital cameras were still priced out of reach, despite being unable to break the megapixel barrier. For this reason, we spent the majority of class-time in the darkroom, developing film and printing test strips, and had little time to discuss or practice photo theory.

The only things he really taught us of practical photography, or at least the only things I remember, were the Rule of Thirds, and to never split a subject's head with a line.

Hooray! It turns out, though I remember little, what I do remember is still good advice. Lighting was also always important to Mr. Lehr, but I never really got it down...and I guess that's something I'll need to work on still. I've always been a big fan of taking shots from odd angles, particularly from below the subject, so I like that Dr. Spaulding (and Patrick Smith) are into that too.

Another thing I have trouble with is not taking enough pictures of a particular shot; I'm always hesitant to take five shots of the same thing, and I'm not sure why. Flashbacks from the days of film? Too lazy to click 'delete' on my Canon? I'm working on it.


Dylan Rothman, a junior at Towson University majoring in business, pushes himself up on a makeshift see-saw for the Delta Sigma Phi fraternity's testicular cancer fundraiser. The 48-hour see-saw-athon was to benefit the Lance Armstrong Foundation, but it was unknown as of press-time how much money was raised, nor whether the fraternity was aware of the irony in see-sawing to benefit testicles.

(Photo by Dillon Nestadt/ Oct. 29, 2008)

1 comment:

Dr. Spaulding said...

I think Mr. Lehr would be proud that you remember the rule of thirds--that's really important. Nice alternate angle here.